Skip to main content

After Easter, part 2 (or: The First Great AirFrance Booking Debacle and Conjunctivitis)

These events, which occured one on the heels of the other, deserve their own space. Never a dull moment! Alas, there are no related pictures.

One Sunday in mid-April, I saw an email from AirFrance telling me that my departing flight in June had been changed. I would now depart Libreville at 11 a.m. on June 24th, a change of 24 hours. OK, fine, that works. On closer inspection, however, I found that my connecting flight in Paris had not changed, and I was still scheduled to fly out of France at 10:35 a.m. on June 24th. Given my lack of ability to bilocate, this was not going to work.

I spent Monday afternoon attempting to fix it online while borrowing data off one of the candidate's phones (and subsequently using it all up, I think). After a while, it became clear that I would have to call them, and that it wouldn't work with WhatsApp. A good deal of time went into searching for a "no wifi calling app" with no luck; I finally sent them an email and called it a day. 

The next day, I tried borrowing Maman Noëline's phone to call AirFrance, but who knows what went wrong and once I did start talking to someone, the service dropped as soon as I finished explaining the problem. I then asked Canon Fragelli if I could borrow his phone, which finally worked and I was able to get it strightened out. Alas, months later the same sort of issue would recur, but for now it was settled. 

Two days later, I began to feel that I had viral conjunctivitis. I had had it a couple years before and knew the difference in viral vs bacterial, though it took me a while to admit that anything was wrong. Once I did admit that, I thought maybe it wasn't that obvious and no one would notice. I went to the kitchen to help with lunch and Maman Noëline asked if a bug had gotten in my eye, then at the table, Dieu-Vivant asked why my eye was red. So much for the "not obvious" idea. 

I went to the dispensary later to talk to the doctor, and while I was standing in the doorway, someone eight feet away asked what was wrong with my eye (OK, I give up; it's obvious). The nurse asked if it was caused by an insect (does that happen a lot here??); I saw the doctor who looked at my eye and gave me a prescription for rifamycin eye drops, Celestine (pills) and albendazole. The last one was an anti-parasitic which I talked him out of giving me (I was on Malarone as malaria prophlaxis; I don't know that it's technically an anti-parasitic but I thought it was at the time). Angelique had already left the pharmacy for the day, so I figured I would pick up the other medications in the morning. 

That evening, Angelique asked if I had gotten medication for my eye. I started to ask about the rifamycin and she asked to see the prescription (where I often didn't know what was going on, people often had no idea what I was trying to say). She finally said that the rifamycin was not an antibiotic (someone was confused, because it is; maybe we weren't talking about the same drug..?), and to pick up that and the Celestine pills the next morning. 

I went to the pharmacy after French class to do as I was told. Once Angelique recalled why I was there, she said "demandez du chanoine", "Ask Canon", as they did not have the drugs at the dispensary and Jimmy had gone into town to get them -- or something! I gave up at that point and decided I wouldn't ask; if I got the drugs, great, but this would clear up on its own if it had to. 

At lunch, Faith handed me two medications: eye drops and Celestine (betamethasone). The eye drops were neomycine/dextamethasone (NemodexSol)-- not what I had been prescribed. A look at the package insert refreshed my memory on betamethasone-- a steroid. I really didn't want to take a systemic steroid I didn't need, and the eye drops were antibiotic, which I also didn't think I needed as this was not bacterial conjunctivitis. The whole thing seemed excessively complicated. 

That evening before dinner, Angelique asked if I had gotten the eye drops. I showed her what I had and she told me to use the eye drops but not to take the pills-- "C'est la même chose", "It's the same thing", preseumably the steroid. I tried to ask about using an antibiotic when I didn't have a bacterial infection; my journal says, "she just looked at me". As my mom is apt to say, it's best to trust African doctors with African diseases. So I used the eye drops and the whole thing cleared up in a few days, after spreading to the other eye as well. 

That insanity was over, but there was plenty more to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to Canon Fragelli

Canon Henrique Fragelli, who rebuilt and revitalized the Mission Ste. Thérèse de l'Enfant Jésus since 2012, died this morning in Brazil. His health had been fragile ever since contracting covid in May 2021, requiring a prolonged hospitalization and a double lung transplant. He had recently established a new mission in Rio de Janeiro at the invitation of the archbishop; today, as was noted by the Prior General of the Institute to be the first day of the month of St. Joseph, patron of a happy death, the Lord called him back to Himself.  I can only imagine the mourning at his beloved mission. For my part, I have a few personal memories: -- Canon working with me to arrange my mission trip; offering me his arm when I nearly collapsed upon my arrival and later calling my mom to let her know I had arrived; teasing me: about my ridiculous facial expression when he was taking a picture, about making hamburgers because I'm American; urging courage and patience with learning French; simpl

The Bambinette and 40 Hours Devotion

  We were supposed to be having English class... After Benediction on my very first Thursday at the Mission, I met a number of girls I would see quite often over the next five months. They were the "Bambinette". Down the road from the mission, across from the school, is "Maison Maria Bambina" (House of the Child Mary). In French, it is called an "internat"; we typically called it an orphanage, though not all the girls there are strictly orphans. I find that "boarding house" captures the idea more correctly. The girls there live together with Maman Ngnigone, the "house mother", keep a regular schedule (though I could question how regular) and attend the school.  I hadn't been at the mission for a month when Canon Fragelli mentioned to me that the girls needed help with their English, and that Maman Ngnigone had asked if I could tutor them. So, after arranging with Maman for a good time (every Friday at 3 p.m.), off I went down the r

Happy Birthday to... Me

This post is all about... me. Actually, that's not true. It's simply more stories, following the course of the narrative, that happened to take place on my birthday. They would be great stories otherwise, but they're even better because it was my birthday.  Hearts are full of continued Easter joy during the octave. The sequence Victimae Paschali Laudes is read at Mass every day, and after the penitential days of Lent and the intensity of Holy Week, we come into a sort of liturgical spring, where the liturgy bursts forth and blossoms. The last day of the octave happened to be my birthday. It started a pretty normal Saturday, with Mass at 8 a.m., followed by breakfast with everyone.  My usual Saturday routine was to work in the kitchen and clean my room. It was also the day that the oblates and candidates would wash and clean the school buses, out on the road in front of the mission. On this particular Saturday, they got one stuck in the mud. I went go watch and laugh at them