Skip to main content

My First Mission Party

 

Joyeux Anniversaire …   

I can still remember the day Canon Fragelli arrived back to the mission. After wondering when it would be, having been told "Tuesday", and Tuesday and Wednesday having past, I got up from my siesta on Thursday afternoon and headed to the chapel for my 3 p.m. holy hour. One of the candidates who was outside started grinning-- I think it was when he saw me notice Canon's car! I asked him if it meant what I thought it did. He said yes, and I told him I was going to spend the next hour telling Jesus how happy I was. 

It was such a relief to have him back! I wrote in my journal, "Everyone seemed happier." Things simply hadn't been the same without our superior. Aperitif was such fun that evening, "everything was joyful and relieved". Canon had Institute calendars for everyone; he gave me one in French, then asked if I wanted an English one. I insisted on keeping the French one-- I was going to learn! Clearly, I needed it: Canon asked, in French, how things were going in the dispensary. I thought he asked if I had been working at the dispensary; "Oui". To which Canon replied, "La dispensaire ç'est 'oui'?" That got a lot of laughs. 

Canon had been gone on his birthday, January 31st. The Saturday after he got back, we gave him a surprise party-- my first party at the Mission and the party of the century! 

We had been planning the party for a little while, working on a song in Igbo, Ebubay, Mikpawe (a song in Fon, a Beninoise tribal language) and a polyglottic Happy Birthday (French, English, Italian, Congolese tribal language, Fon and Latin). I had brought an embroidery project with me of the Institute's coat of arms, intending to give to Canon Fragelli before I left the Mission. The opportunity of giving it to him for his birthday was too much to pass up, though, so I worked fiendishly hard on it to have it done on time and finished it Saturday morning. 

On the night of the party, I went up to the kitchen to help get ready; the door was locked to keep out people (a person..?) who weren't supposed to know what was going on. I knocked, told them who I was, and heard Canon Sigros say that I was allowed. ;) He then wrapped my embroidery as well as his gift (a bottle of wine) in wrapping paper... printed with llamas and Christmas trees …

Where did he get this stuff???

I don't know if Canon Fragelli suspected anything ahead of time; it certainly didn't look like it when he came to the terrace, but in any case, Canon Sigros told him right at the beginning what we were doing (we were dressed up and had four guests that evening, so he probably would have started guessing before long). We got up to sing for him and, with our Nigerian postulant in Libreville at the moment, I was the only girl in the group with nine guys! Canon Fragelli commented on that, but being the youngest in my family with no sisters, it wasn't new.  

We had our feast of grilled chicken, sausages, brochettes, hot dogs, fried plantains, rice, green salad, bread and wine, and a beautiful chocolate cake at the end.

My first Mission barbeque (this picture was taken before the meat was ready--hence its absence! ;)


You can't have a French party without wine.

You can see we had a good time: the keyboard, the violin, the bright African outfits.

 After dinner, there was more music, when a couple of the guys started playing the keyboard and violin, people started singing and "serenading" others … At one point, Canon Fragelli even got involved, singing with us (I will write in later post about his incredible vocal talent). 

It was the first of several parties I would experience, and they were always something to look forward to! Now, however, life would begin to settle into a rhythm.

Please share this blog and leave a comment. I will do my best to reply to everything. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute to Canon Fragelli

Canon Henrique Fragelli, who rebuilt and revitalized the Mission Ste. Thérèse de l'Enfant Jésus since 2012, died this morning in Brazil. His health had been fragile ever since contracting covid in May 2021, requiring a prolonged hospitalization and a double lung transplant. He had recently established a new mission in Rio de Janeiro at the invitation of the archbishop; today, as was noted by the Prior General of the Institute to be the first day of the month of St. Joseph, patron of a happy death, the Lord called him back to Himself.  I can only imagine the mourning at his beloved mission. For my part, I have a few personal memories: -- Canon working with me to arrange my mission trip; offering me his arm when I nearly collapsed upon my arrival and later calling my mom to let her know I had arrived; teasing me: about my ridiculous facial expression when he was taking a picture, about making hamburgers because I'm American; urging courage and patience with learning French; simpl

The Bambinette and 40 Hours Devotion

  We were supposed to be having English class... After Benediction on my very first Thursday at the Mission, I met a number of girls I would see quite often over the next five months. They were the "Bambinette". Down the road from the mission, across from the school, is "Maison Maria Bambina" (House of the Child Mary). In French, it is called an "internat"; we typically called it an orphanage, though not all the girls there are strictly orphans. I find that "boarding house" captures the idea more correctly. The girls there live together with Maman Ngnigone, the "house mother", keep a regular schedule (though I could question how regular) and attend the school.  I hadn't been at the mission for a month when Canon Fragelli mentioned to me that the girls needed help with their English, and that Maman Ngnigone had asked if I could tutor them. So, after arranging with Maman for a good time (every Friday at 3 p.m.), off I went down the r

Happy Birthday to... Me

This post is all about... me. Actually, that's not true. It's simply more stories, following the course of the narrative, that happened to take place on my birthday. They would be great stories otherwise, but they're even better because it was my birthday.  Hearts are full of continued Easter joy during the octave. The sequence Victimae Paschali Laudes is read at Mass every day, and after the penitential days of Lent and the intensity of Holy Week, we come into a sort of liturgical spring, where the liturgy bursts forth and blossoms. The last day of the octave happened to be my birthday. It started a pretty normal Saturday, with Mass at 8 a.m., followed by breakfast with everyone.  My usual Saturday routine was to work in the kitchen and clean my room. It was also the day that the oblates and candidates would wash and clean the school buses, out on the road in front of the mission. On this particular Saturday, they got one stuck in the mud. I went go watch and laugh at them